View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #531 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
OK, so Ben: you've ben driving around on 48v with a 300A limit, correct?

Have you been going in 2nd gear or 1st? (You said you don't have the shifter hooked up.) Any point in asking what you think of the performance?
The shift linkage isn't hooked up yet. I just climbed down under the car and manually shoved it into gear.

My very first safety-check test was in first gear. I quickly found that it wasn't nearly fast enough. Speed topped out at around 15 mpg.

Right after that, I put it into second. I think 30 mpg is the fastest it has gone so far in second. I haven't tried third yet, but I don't think I want to pull away from a dead stop in third, and I can't shift yet to start in second and go to third.

Some guys are coming over tomorrow to have a "work on the car" day. I am planning on discussing a whole lot of these various issues at that time.

The controller is a 48-72V 400 amp peak. I started off with 4 batts in the back, but since then have added two in front in the the radiator position, so it's at 72V right now.

I just went for a ride with my sister (who was over for dinner tonight) in the passenger seat. She has a Focus and a Metro. She said performance was about the same as her Metro.

Of course, my max speed is fairly limited right now, but we just went down the street where it's 25 and then 15 MPG speed limits.

I still have some mechanical issues. I don't think the motor is lined up perfectly. Makes a bit of a mechanical noise.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos