View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
It can be wired up in such a way that I can delete the alternator without having to use a deep cycle battery or grid charging?

Honestly that would be great; would you mind me paying you a visit next spring to help me wire this out?
I'll explain it right now!

Honda hybrids use a 3 phase alternating current (AC) motor in all of their hybrids, which is far more efficient than any alternator. In any IMA vehicle there will be three orange cables which run to the battery box from the engine bay. These carry 70-300v 3 phase alternating current (voltage dependent on engine RPM). Here's a picture of these three orange cables:

Step one is to connect these three orange cables to one of these rectifiers. What this does is convert alternating current to direct current:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amico-SQL-1...72.m2749.l2649

You'll then have 70-300v DC coming from the rectifier. You need to step this down to 14v. I opted to use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You take two output wires (carrying DC current) from the rectifier and connect them to the input on the Meanwell power supply. On the other side of the Meanwell you can connect whatever you want and get 12-14v (adjustable). There will be an always-hot cable running from the same battery box to the 12v battery up front - just connect this to the Meanwell, and you're set. Higher efficiency than an alternator, no belt losses, you can adjust the voltage and get as big or as small a power supply as you want. The motor up front can probably support up to ~15,000w. Turn the power supply off and you have virtually zero drag from the HV motor.

Here's what my config looks like:

Quote:
So it is the HCH1 engine an L-series then, or a D-series?
The 7th gen Civic are all D series, except for the hybrid which is an L series.

Quote:
ALSO, FuelEconomy.gov indicated that there were two manual HCH1s - one with lean burn and one without. How would I tell the difference when inspecting a car?
California's version does not have lean burn to my knowledge. I'm unsure how you could tell without looking up the VIN, but there aren't too many California cars in my neck of the woods.

~

As far as Insight vs HCH, a sedan wouldn't work well for me because you can't stick a sheet of plywood or a 12ft 4x4 post in the trunk of a sedan. It's nice to be able to put literally everything I own in the back of my 70+ mpg car. I can move a full size dresser or book case.

Here's a shed I stuffed in my "trunk":

Sixteen tires plus my laundry:

A 3x12ft long piece of foam insulation, with the hatch closed:

Of course, YMMV. Our needs are probably not the same.

Last edited by Ecky; 08-22-2018 at 02:33 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Xist (12-27-2018)