View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 08:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Ok so the three orange wires hook up to the rectifier, then the rectifier hooks up to the power supply and its set at 14 volts?

Slightly confused here - the orange wires are sending the 300 volts directly from the engine, right? If so, how does the electricity get transferred from the power supply to the actual battery? What needs to be hooked up there?
The hybrid box (behind the rear seats) has another wire that runs up to the 12v battery, because it's normally what's charging the 12v battery. You just hook this line to the power supply instead, and can toss 150+lbs of battery and electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Tbh right now an Insight would be perfect for me, but I don't know about down the road, and once I do something like this, it's going to be something I plan on driving for years to come.

Neither option can have a battery though - I either buy one with a bad battery or I sell the battery. I'd rather buy one with a bad battery just in case I can't sell the battery or the battery turns out to be weak (and yet the selling price didn't reflect it). This is because the car will be sitting for too long while in college, which is bad for hybrid batteries.

HCH1 hybrids with bad batteries are a dime a dozen, so to speak. Insights are either autotragic or have "good" batteries and are $2500-$6000. I can't find any manual Insights with bad batteries. I'm torn. I know as of know this spring I'll be doing the manual HCH1 w/ battery bypass but I really want an Insight..
Makes a lot of sense. One thing that really sold the Insight for me is that it's aluminum, and thus practically impervious to road salt...

The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Xist (12-27-2018)