View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Do you have a picture of this part of the setup?
Not for an HCH, but it's essentially the same as the Insight. I marked each step in the wiring a different color. Green is motor to rectifier, blue is rectifier to PSU, red is PSU to the front of the car to the 12v battery.

There's basically just a long 8 gauge wire from the 12v battery to the back of the car already, makes this all very easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Yes that's another thing that makes me want an Insight...if only the Gen 1 insight came as a 4 door without too much of an MPG hit. And no I'm not talking about the terrible Gen 2 lol. How much better MPG could I get with a bypassed Insight stock engine than a bypassed Civic Hybrid stock engine?
Probably around 33%. I'd say 70mpg is a realistic but non-trivial goal in an HCH1, while 90mpg is a realistic but non-trivial goal in an Insight (for a full tank). You can reach either with a completely stock car and consistently careful driving.

Of course, points in the HCH1's favor are that MPG is not a very good metric. 70mpg is 3.3L/100km, while 90mpg is 2.6L/100km. In an absolute sense, it's the same amount of fuel saved as going from 25mpg (9.4L/100km) to 27mpg (8.7L/100km), because both cars already use so little.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Xist (12-27-2018)