View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #52 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Here is a great website comparing rolling resistance of bicycle tires: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

One option you should consider is going tubeless, although I would only recommend it for the larger, lower pressure tires. Testing on that website has shown that tubeless has an advantage vs tubes at lower pressures, but a latex tube at high pressures with a non tubeless tire VS the tubeless tire, the tubed tire can have lower rolling resistance. The tubeless tire itself will have a slightly higher rolling resistance compared to the tube tire since it has an extra layer of rubber to hold the air in. If you can manage to run a tube type tire tubeless then you will have even less rolling resistance.

Bicycle tires run tubeless may pop off the rim at too high of a pressure. There is also a specific rim profile for running tubeless tires, and they usually are not available with rim brakes. I still haven't found a tubeless setup for my Trek Y3 with its 26"? tires and rim brakes.

Also, tubeless with tire sealant will be less susceptible to punctures, and will be easier to repair. You could also bring a tube with you, and throw it in there if you can't get the tire to seal after a puncture.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...