View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 11:28 PM   #39 (permalink)
jcp123
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
I missed the double clutch question. Double clutch gets so much less fun when it is your living I am a trucker...three-pedal trucks are exclusively unsynchronized. Automatics are simply automated manuals and have little minions in the gearbox do the work for you).

There's two ways to do it. True double clutching goes like this:

Say you are driving down the road at a steady speed. In 5th gear you are running 2000 rpm. If you ran the same speed in 4th gear, you would be at 2500 rpm.

Downshifting from 5th to 4th would have you clutch out of gear, go to neutral, let out the clutch. As you do so, blip the throttle to about 2500rpm, then clutch in again and shift to fourth, then let out.

Trust me, it takes time. The fact that I could drive stick when learning to drive trucks actually hindered me a bit. It was six months of full-time, doing-it-for-a-living driving before I actually got anywhere near comfortable living with an unsynchronized box.

But once you get it, the world is your oyster. There's variations on it like floating your shifts, both up and down, heel-toe shifting, etc. Rev-matching (a bit different from real double-clutching) can make you a master of smooth shifts and save clutch war.

Not that this is terribly relevant to driving anything made in the last 80 years save for 18-wheelers, but I find that as I drive both my rig and my car, both vehicles help inform me a little bit on how to drive the other one better.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17

Last edited by jcp123; 08-23-2018 at 11:35 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jcp123 For This Useful Post:
Xist (12-27-2018)