Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #533 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I consider it tough love. I want Tesla to succeed, but I don't think giving them a pass on things we wouldn't accept from other cars is wise. They'll get better at everything eventually, and it should be demanded that they do so. As to the term fanboy, I'm not sure what else I could use

Why aren't all hybrids plug-in ready? Surely it can't cost that much to plop in a plug and run some wire? I'm obviously blind to something here.
I think every car has its own purpose. You don't expect a super smooth ride and extravagant luxuries in a hard core sports car. Nor brisk cornering and acceleration from a SUV. Etc.

Tesla ticks several boxes at the same time: luxurious, fast, safe, practical, automated, integrated, emissions free. It isn't perfect in all aspects - but the combination is unique and unmatched.

Then, the first series was never going to be perfect.
But just as happened with the Model S; the build quality will quickly improve and some upgrades will be retrofitted if you bring them in.

Everybody has the right to have an opinion.
'Fanboy' is a label to put aside people whose opinion one does not like, or whose preferences one does not share. The 'boy' part may strike some as a homophobic insult.
I'm sure you did not intend that though.
We don't need labels like that. We can agree to disagree with respect.

Regular hybrids have a very small and light battery. My hybrid battery only has 0.6 kWh capa city; moreover, the BMS tries to keep its state of charge within the 40-75% range, as the high currents while accelerating/braking do the least damage to the cells in that range.

Plugin hybrids do need a much bigger battery to have some practical range, say like 8 kWh. Because it has so many more cells, the currents and wear per cell are much lower and the range restrictions less critical.
A conventional small battery hybrid with a plug could safely take about 0.2 kWh. That just isn't worth it.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-04-2018 at 03:12 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-07-2018)