View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #2741 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
only reason/what if/............

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The only reason it's even possible to have wind power that only costs 1 cent more per kwh is because of all the fossil fuel and nuclear power that can make up for when the wind is lacking.

What if not very many people want a 54.5mpg car and they would rather just pay the guzzler penalty and get a truck or SUV?
Then the big 3, not just ford would go to only making trucks, SUVs and muscle cars.
I'm expecting gas prices to double by 2025 and triple by 2030. That's why I am already adopting electrics as primary vehicles.
I suspect that you're correct about the other sources.My electric COOP doesn't parse it out in detail.'Normal' electricity was 12-cents,and I'm given to undertstand that this 'price' would somehow reflect actual cost of production,mainteneance,plus wiggle money to expand the distribution infrastructure.
The 54.5 mpg of course would be the fleet average,reflecting a pool of vehicles with efficiencies ranging from say,119 MPGE for a Chevy Bolt,down to 15-MPG for a Cadillac Denali,and things in between.
One could still by the Denali or Raptor,or Ram,or whatever,but there'd be higher MPG or MPGE vehicles in the mix to drive the aggregate numbers up to 54.5.
EVs are credited at 135 mpg for CAFE calculation purposes.The more of them sold,the more full-size SUVs would be allowed.
If the Big-Three go to only full-size,they'll be excluded from the California and 13-other state markets.It's their call.Whatever the shareholders want.Those in those states will have to move elsewhere if they don't like it.
As to fuel prices,we've seen $4/gallon before,nationwide.California is paying that as I write.
If we all buy a Denali, Navigator,Sequoia,Expedition,Raptor,Tundra,Titan,L and Rover,G-Wagen,Shelby GT,etc.,there's no telling where the price will settle.Or if we get another Katrina,or pipeline leak.
If I can get the Spirit project behind me,I'll be looking at some entry level EV with very limited range.My roundtrips are only 16-miles.I think I can buy a 'real' EV cheaper than I can convert my Karmann Ghia.I've got few years to think about that.
I like you PV/LEAF setup.I'd like to do that too.