View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #2853 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
As far as I know, there aren't scientific predictions of meters per century. Mostly I read about a foot per century.
We need to look at the IPCC 'caveats' which talk about higher levels.
An ice sheet-instability model,identified in 1978,which predicted abrupt sea-level rise up to 16-feet in around 50-years has been verified and is in effect as of 2015,according to NASA JPL.
It has to do with warm deep ocean upwellings in Antarctica,melting the submerged ice sheets/glaciers from below.The ice can tolerate only a 0-degrre C average temp..They're seeing up to 10-degree C.
As the glacier grounding line recedes inland,the cantilevered glacier breaks off under gravitational stress,calving tetris bergs, which increase sea-
level,while exposing more ice to the warm water,in a runaway feedback loop,until the whole thing disintegrates.Ice walls of 300-feet height 'implode'.
The NASA gravity anomally... GRACE satellites are registering the loss.Three major glaciers are impacted,including the Thwaites Glacier,which is considered by glaciologists to be a canary in the coal mine as to sea-level rise.
James Hansen has said,that the last time Earth had 405-ppmv carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,that the oceans were 20-30 feet higher.
As of 2015,only 24 people on Earth had ever seen the Thwaites Glacier.
And we're just talking about the W.Antarctic peninsula.
Antarctica is the size of the US and Mexico combined.If it were to all melt,we'd be looking at 200-feet of sea-level rise.