View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
Shouty... there's a real scientist...
I stopped watching after he said deep-cycle batteries aren't lead-acid, and that Priuses apparently use lithium-ion starter batteries.

Back when I frequented the Viper Club of America forum, there was a poster who was a retired oil formulator for Texaco and Shell. He never bothered with synthetic oil for his Viper, using Shell Rotella 15W-40 non-synthetic diesel oil, and he drove his car through the winter (he had more than 100,000 miles on it at the time, very unusual for a Viper). He also said that the myth of most engine wear occurring on startup is just that, a myth.

Everything I've read about startup wear has pointed to cold starts as the problem, with papers as far back as 1960 attributing the increased wear to condensed combustion byproducts and water. Modern start-stop systems don't turn the engine off until the coolant has reached a certain temperature (101 degrees F in the Prius for shutdown at vehicle stop and low speeds, 154 degrees F for full shutdown capability), which avoids that problem entirely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (09-12-2018), redpoint5 (09-13-2018)