Thread: Wind turbines
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #43 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I believe that I read an article about how China is building coal fired plants faster than anyone.
They don't appear to be increasing solars producing capacity share much, they sure aren't replacing coal capacity with solar.
I'm not sure if they are building new - it sounds like they had an over-supply of electricity for a bit there. But they are bringing some of the coal stations back online.

https://www.chinadialogue.net/blog/1...power-again/en

Using coal to make electricity to mine the materials, and build a solar panel, and likely to power the ship that brings it to me, is not my first choice.

But in my area (Alberta/Saskatchewan Canada) we use coal to generate the electricity to refine oil. Our grid is mostly coal and natural gas fired. Any solar or wind, no matter how much pollution is required to manufacture it ... is better than burning coal and natural gas to make the electricity, to refine the gas and diesel, to burn the gas and diesel to truck it to my local gas station, to burn the gas and diesel in my truck ... That's not counting the coal that was required to mine the metal to make the machinery that digs the coal, or transports the coal, or transport the machinery ... it's just a depressing spiral of processing ... each step requires more coal

My only small deviation from being a complete hypocrite is that I get better mileage out of a full-sized F150 that I did in my old Hyundai Santa Fe ...