View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #2915 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
tax credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Yes, I did enjoy the video. I just didn't find it prompting me to post with new thoughts though.

A problem has to be accurately identified to accurately solve it. The variables are so great that defining the problem is difficult at best, and prone to hyperbole. Then the solutions to the poorly defined problem have undefined benefits.

How much does the $7,500 tax credit for EVs help solve whatever problem it was meant to solve? That's $1.5 Billion in lost tax revenue per auto manufacturer.

That's not to say that we shouldn't be concerned about difficult to define problems, or that solutions that are difficult to quantify are inappropriate, but the costs must be considered. This is coming from someone who is gungho on EVs.
I've been thinking about it in terms of an 'non-oil depletion allowance.'
As an incentive for the nascent EV/renewable energy companies to get a tow hold in the marketplace.
It's cheaper than war, and you get something durable,paying dividends every year into the future.
Without it,we're probably looking at a class action lawsuit, at least against the oil industry,which has enjoyed federal incentives since before dirt.