View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
I remember when you thought this up, a couple years back. If I recall correctly, you were thinking of a small pick-up, Ford Ranger size. I think a full size would be a better choice. There is so much more room to hide the mechanical parts and you have the possibility of big payloads.
The video shows you standing around with a diesel engine and a forklift motor. (Is that the motor that went into your lawn tractor junk parade special?)
I'm for you doing this project. I have an old Dodge pickup that gets about 13 mpg on a good day. While I don't really have time or money to build my own, I'd just feel better knowing I could have a hybrid that got reasonable fuel economy.
-mort
The new RAM has a hybrid option for the V8 and is only a hybrid with the V6. All of them will be starting next model year. EPA rating is 20 city 25 highway 22 combined, and the reports trickling in are that this is realistic.

It's a very mild hybrid. The battery size is about half that of the G1 Insight's, and the system is there mostly for:
1) Start-stop
2) A large boost in torque for the first second or two from a dead stop
3) Regenerative braking