View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #153 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
You're still determined to undermine his success for no clearly obvious reason to me other than you dislike successful people, or at least dislike successful people that behave like Musk. He started a company with his brother called Zip2 on a $28,000 startup budget and sold the company for $307,000,000, pocketing $22,000,000. He was already rich as he co-founded a company that was integral to Paypal.
OK, so he successfully ran 1 company. Good for him. That doesn't make him a business genius. I don't have anything against successful people, I just haven't fallen into the cult of Musk. The future of EVs doesn't rest on his shoulders and they will do fine whether Tesla succeeds of fails.

His behavior also doesn't help. Pretty much everyone agrees he is a self-absorbed jerk. Some forgive those basic character flaws because he is CEO of a company they want to succeed. I'm not one of them. The man is a jerk and he is dragging down Tesla. Maybe it is time for him to sail off on a yacht and let professionals try to save his company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Agreed. His need to micromanage his ideas are one of his weaknesses. Though he's likely a brilliant guy, that overconfidence in his own abilities doesn't allow him to trust control with others who are expert in their respective fields. *Entirely my speculation having not researched Musk in depth.
SpaceX is a good example of what could be possible for Tesla if Musk would step away. SpaceX has had an experience president and COO for years that directs the day to day operations of company. Musk basically said "wouldn't it be great if you could make a reusable rocket" then he hired some rocket engineers and executives and told them to get to it. That hands-off approach has allowed SpaceX to be a technical success even if they aren't profitable yet. Time will tell if Musk can continue to keep his hands off SpaceX or if he kills the company by forcing it to pursue his Mars colony idea.