View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ford Man
Master EcoModder

Some things to work on are slowing down or coasting to stop lights so you are getting to them when they are green instead of driving right up to them when they are red and having to come to a complete stop. I think I read that it takes 20% more fuel to get a car going from a complete stop than it does if you are able to keep the car rolling. If you are driving a manual transmission try to make your shifts at as low rpm's as possible and stay in the highest possible gear at all times. I usually shift between 2000-2500 rpm. Run your tires at maximum pressure. Keep the engine well tuned and serviced. Of course there are many other things that will help, but these are just a few I could think of right now. You might want to experiment with different brands of gas. I have found that I get about 10% better mileage off of Texaco gas than I do off of BP in my daily driver. I guess it comes from the different additives. I would try several (3-5) consecutive tanks of different brands and compare mileage between the brands. I have heard several people say they got better mileage from Shell, but I haven't tried it.