View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 04:56 PM   #94 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.36 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Not really, no. The only way to know for sure what's in it is to charge it to full and see when it stops charging, or to count how much goes in and out.
Ugh, that sucks. So much for that idea.

Quote:
The ECU up front still thinks the IMA is in place. Just a couple of very simple signals, not even digital. It doesn't try to use it because it thinks the battery is empty.
Nice! So then do you or do you not have autostop?

Quote:
~20mph (or below) is the default speed at which auto-stop happens. It's more like 22mph, or 19mph sometimes. I bet you could use an arduino to program in full auto-restart even without the IMA.
I will. Or I will at least attempt to until I can. We're learning arduinos in my engineering class and I hope to take it further with an Insight next year. Would it be possible also to do some sort of mod, maybe an arduino, to allow for more lean burn - maybe spoof something a little (obviously not enough to kill the cat or the engine)? I'm already planning on wiring up a lean burn indicator light.

Quote:
Pedal to the floor in 5th gear still delivers 50mpg, you have to downshift to get any worse fuel economy.
Wow. In my Civic pedal to the floor in 4th gear only delivers 18.5-20 MPG.

Quote:
I really like the G1, but honestly if I had $8,000 for a car today that I didn't own, I'm unsure if I would buy an Insight and do a lot of in-depth modifications, since there are several wonderful plug-in hybrid options. A car like a Chevy Volt can drive on electricity alone for ~50 miles for lower cost-per-mile than a hypermiled Insight, and delivers ~40-45mph on gasoline afterward.

Don't get me wrong, I personally think a G1 Insight with a Volt or Accord Hybrid or Ioniq drivetrain would be damn near the ultimate car, but there are several great off-the-shelf options out there. None of them are aluminum, or as small or light, but technology has improved in the last 18 years.
Problem is, I don't have $8000 I'm willing to spend on a car. For an Insight based on the prices I'm seeing I'm shooting for $2500 or less, all inclusive.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)