View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #99 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.36 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
HOWEVER, even a severely degraded IMA battery can still perform auto-stop, even long after it loses ability to assist and regen.
That's good to know. Maybe I won't remove the IMA after all. I'm assuming a degraded IMA still charges the 12V enough so I wouldn't have to wire up that DC-DC thingy to avoid the 12V only charging between 1400 and 3500 RPMs?

Quote:
Unsure. Lean burn is really generous in the G1 Insight, and it goes all the way out to a ~24:1 AFR. With the pedal "to the floor" in lean burn (not literally, but as far as you can press it before it jumps out of lean burn), you can't get less than 75mpg in 5th gear, and ~60mpg in 4th gear. I've never owned a VX or HX so I can't compare.
That is just insanely amazing.

Quote:
I'll take a video sometime soon.
Know of anyone with a lambo?

Quote:
Live fuel economy updates instantly - it's a little bar at the bottom of the FCD which moves back and forth as you apply throttle, and it was the prototype for the system Honda now uses in every new vehicle.
Cool, so I won't need a Scangauge then.

Quote:
Some, like the Fit, I don't think received this system until 2015 (?), but it's essentially unchanged from how it was in the Insight in 2000.
Fit received it in 2009.

Quote:
The trip average mileages refresh something like every 30 seconds, but you can force a refresh by tapping the FCD button to the left of the steering wheel.

The Insight has five ways to keep track of mileage:

1) Instantaneous mileage, displayed as a bar from 0 to 150 at the bottom of the display.

2) "Current" or mileage, which you can reset whenever but doesn't auto reset. I typically reset this before I leave the house, or use it to track averages over a short stretch of road.

3) "Trip 1" can be reset whenever you want, doesn't auto-reset. I typically reset this every tank.

4) "Trip 2", can be reset whenever you want, doesn't auto-reset. I might use this to track an entire road trip, to get an average over several tanks.

5) Lifetime mileage. This can be reset, but not easily. I reset this when I got my car and it's close to 65 - I think 67ish?

You can also toggle back and forth between imperial and metric units, there's a button on the dash which puts it into L/100km. It's really a very... robust system.
Again, that's just insane. I really can't believe why people never went for this car.

Speaking of the buttons, if the buttons are broken they can be replaced with 3D printed ones from IC, right?

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)