Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #573 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
On the contrary. Anyone doing more than 50 miles a day, and is stuck with his home 120V AC charging port, should not even consider an electric!

Add to the range issue, climate controls. In colder regions, cabin heating is a big part of energy consumption, while in hotter regions AC is even more draining than heating the cabin!

I've done the calculations, assuming I could charge my car 12 hours a day (at night), doing 70 miles a day, I would end up with a dead battery by friday.
This assuming nothing goes wrong with the charging process (like no one unplugs it, or no power outages occur).
Your math is too conservative, especially for a FL climate. Cabin heating typically draws much more power than cooling, and the overall range is drastically reduced by cold temperatures. Heat is no problem for a car like the Bolt or Model 3.

Let's say you could only charge 10 hrs a day on a 15A circuit (you never specified your capacity, so I'll assume the lower one). 10hrs * 120v * 12A = 14.4 kWh. Using a very conservative estimate of 4 m/kWh, you would add 57.6 miles of range every night, for a deficit of 12.4 miles. Over 4 nights (Monday - Thursday night charging), you would accrue a deficit of 50 miles. A 240 mile range Bolt would still have 190 miles of range come Friday morning, which is nearly 80% of the full range.

What is preventing a 240v outlet from being installed? Isn't there one for the cloths dryer or range already?

Quote:

Think about the original estimated cost of 64kWh at $10ct/kWh (a full charge is projected to cost you $6.5), actually ends up costing you 80 * 0.15 (15ct as your electric company will charge you more when your consumption goes up, and is never mentioned when selling an EV) = $12.

The actual price is almost doubled from what's originally projected.

Match this with statistics of EVs and gasoline cars doing 30MPG avg, and your EV which is projected to consume 1/3rd of the cost of a gasoline engine, is now consuming 2/3rds of the energy price of a gasoline car.
And it all makes no more sense to even think of EVs, until the overall purchase price of an EV becomes well within the 20-25% sales price of a gasoline car.
Every utility is different, but in Oregon the rate is $0.10/kWh regardless of how much you use, and in Washington $0.08/kWh. Consider it $0.11/kWh due to 90% charging efficiency. Assuming no rate change due to extra consumption, your 70 mile commute would consume 17.5 kWh (little more due to charge inefficiency, but compensated by 10% increase in price) and at $0.11/kWh, would cost $1.93.

My Prius gets 50 MPG, and at a cost of $3/gallon, would cost $4.20 for the same trip. That's more than double the cost using one of the most efficient vehicles made.

EVs are too expensive as you mention, but they are the ideal vehicle for commutes of 70 miles, or even twice that distance if 240v charging is available.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!