View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #3008 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
spread

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Why are the flight paths spread evenly horizontally and parallel, and do you see any vertical separation?

Not our proudest moment.

I think the solution is not pen strokes and concentration camps. And the hippys had a 'no haircut' solution. ()

The solution is between people's ears.
It's hard to discern vertical separation from the photos.
Most of my uncles flew,I got to fly with two of them.
My brother flew until a few years ago.I flew with him.
Paul McCartney's old trumpet player from Wings still flies and I've flown some of his planes.
This is just general aviation stuff,although Steve has flown commercial jets and one of his buddies,Andy, is a captain with Southwest Airlines.
And one of Steve's band mates is an air traffic controller for DFW.
Turbulence is bad news and mid-air collisions are worse.The FAA does everything it can to keep aircraft away from one another.
The cross-hatch pattern is a consequence from the rule book.
ATC will assign a heading and assigned altitude for any given flight.You are required to fly that heading and altitude, and unless you radio in a request to change, due to ,say, wing icing,and receive permission to ascend out of the weather,or drop to warmer air, the pilot must maintain their assigned flight path.
The pilot IS the CAPTAIN,and may do what they believe necessary to avert a disaster,but they may have to explain themselves to their flight-following ATC.

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-26-2018)