Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #629 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
As an outsider with no knowledge of Tesla's internal workings ... I've observed that Elon sets unrealistic goals as a matter of policy. It gives his SCRUM teams something to shoot for. As they run into the normal delays and problems, the projected schedules (I assume that they have them but do not share) get updated and flow back to management to allow for adjusting delivery of comsumables for production, transportation of finished product, etc.

If he set a goal that was attainable, there would be no incentive to STRIVE for the extra production/models/designs/whatever.

Elon has been *VERY* consistent. He has not met a goal, the first time he set the goal, 1 time in a row. Has he progressed production timelines faster than other car companies? I believe so. It seems that others think so as well.

But if you are banking on him making *ANY* of his short term goals ... perhaps any of his goals period ... the first time around ... well .. I'd suggest you have a better chance of winning the lottery
Must be a software industry thing to set goals you never intend to meet.

I've worked in the auto industry for US, EU, and Japanese companies. NONE of them set a goal they don't intend to keep. Instead they set a realistic goal and hit it. If you don't hit that goal heads roll. Having everyone on the same page with 1 firm date is essential when you have thousands of parts that need to be tooled, produced, and delivered on time from hundreds of vendors.

Suppliers also need firm goals so they can plan their production. Most suppliers make parts for many different automakers so they need to balance their production schedule. You can't just say - "hey, just kidding, I don't need 5000 parts per week until next month". You are likely to miss your production window and might not get any parts.

Same thing for auto transporters. Those are booked well in advance of producing the car and there is a shortage of trucks. Every day a truck isn't on the road cost the owner $1000 - $2000. No trucking company is going to agree to reserve a spot for a company that keeps changing their mind. They are going to book their availability to companies that have cars ready to go when the truck arrives.

The auto industry is all about just in time / just in sequence. It doesn't work if schedules keep changing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-17-2018), Xist (10-03-2018)