View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #3092 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The top petroleum geologists and market analytics showed that peak oil was in 2002.
All major oil prospecting is behind us.
There are no more 'elephant' fields to be found.
A number of OPEC nations have lied about their reserves so they could fudge their allowable production quotas.
Saudi is pumping more sea water than oil.
'My father rode a camel,I drive a Rolls-Royce,my son flies a jet airplane,and his son will ride a camel.' Arab proverb.
When Vice President HALLIBURTON Kellog Brown & Root said,'The American way of life is not negotiable.'............. we may have to amend that.
And since the late,Matthew Simmons said,'America has no Plan-B,' war might be inevitable.(I'm just playing 'advocatus diaboli')
We don't have a 'swing producer' anymore.
Most people don't measure peak oil based on proven oil reserve discoveries, but by either production or consumption; neither of which we've passed yet. It doesn't really matter if we have past it or not though, because the result is the same, a gradual weaning of oil consumption.

I went rafting with a large group of people once, and some of them were completely new to floating down a river. We needed to pull over prior to some rapids to better prepare for them, but some of those new people took that to mean "dire emergency; abandon ship". They were traumatized by the their hasty actions of abandoning ship and swimming for shore, when all that was needed was a calm paddle in the right direction.

You're suggesting we're in the middle of the rapids and need to abandon the ship (capitalism/liberty). I'm suggesting we're approaching some rapids and need to calmly maneuver the ship in the right direction.

A gradual weaning of oil consumption is preferred to the draconian State control of all industry, as you imply is necessary. Even if it were necessary, it wouldn't be sufficient because the rest of the world would also have to be on board with similar measures. We'd need to go to war to enforce the behavior of other countries, but would be defeated because our poor economy would stand no chance against those who exploit oil without restriction.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-03-2018 at 04:09 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-03-2018)