Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #3091 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
China

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The problem is earth is experiencing the "worst of the worst case scenario" for CO2 emissions mainly because of china, but the warming is on the lowest end of the ipcc spectrum of estimates.
A totally unexpected result.

The man made global warming craze will be over in a few years anyways.
Yeah,they've built,and are building a lot of coal-fired power plants.They also appear to be a global leader in wind,solar,and grid-scale electric storage,and building more hydro.
We can't control what they do,but many here would like to see the US set a positive example for the rest of the world.
And some scientists firmly believe that we haven't 'gone off the cliff' yet,so if they're correct,we have some time.How much I couldn't know.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #3092 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The top petroleum geologists and market analytics showed that peak oil was in 2002.
All major oil prospecting is behind us.
There are no more 'elephant' fields to be found.
A number of OPEC nations have lied about their reserves so they could fudge their allowable production quotas.
Saudi is pumping more sea water than oil.
'My father rode a camel,I drive a Rolls-Royce,my son flies a jet airplane,and his son will ride a camel.' Arab proverb.
When Vice President HALLIBURTON Kellog Brown & Root said,'The American way of life is not negotiable.'............. we may have to amend that.
And since the late,Matthew Simmons said,'America has no Plan-B,' war might be inevitable.(I'm just playing 'advocatus diaboli')
We don't have a 'swing producer' anymore.
Most people don't measure peak oil based on proven oil reserve discoveries, but by either production or consumption; neither of which we've passed yet. It doesn't really matter if we have past it or not though, because the result is the same, a gradual weaning of oil consumption.

I went rafting with a large group of people once, and some of them were completely new to floating down a river. We needed to pull over prior to some rapids to better prepare for them, but some of those new people took that to mean "dire emergency; abandon ship". They were traumatized by the their hasty actions of abandoning ship and swimming for shore, when all that was needed was a calm paddle in the right direction.

You're suggesting we're in the middle of the rapids and need to abandon the ship (capitalism/liberty). I'm suggesting we're approaching some rapids and need to calmly maneuver the ship in the right direction.

A gradual weaning of oil consumption is preferred to the draconian State control of all industry, as you imply is necessary. Even if it were necessary, it wouldn't be sufficient because the rest of the world would also have to be on board with similar measures. We'd need to go to war to enforce the behavior of other countries, but would be defeated because our poor economy would stand no chance against those who exploit oil without restriction.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-03-2018 at 04:09 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #3093 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
That's mechanical engineering. It's a well established religion, based around numbers, math and assigning values to abstract equations.
The opposite of global warming.
Engineering is religion? Now I'm really confused.

And which one is apposite to 'global warming'.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #3094 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

opposite

Quote:
That's mechanical engineering. It's a well established religion, based around numbers, math and assigning values to abstract equations.
The opposite of global warming.
The runaway global warming is the 'sum of all fears' for climatologists.
The albedo effect is part of that mechanism.
It is based upon optical reflection and the latent heat of fusion of water,a very well understood,easily measured value,measure independently,with the same results,so as to become a 'benchmark'.
All refrigeration and air conditioning engineers and contractors are intimately familiar with this metric.
Recall that a 'ton' of cooling refers to the amount of heat transferred when a ton of ice melts,12,000 Btu.
Religion differs from science-based technology and engineering,in that religion cannot be 'proven',in a scientific experiment,whereas scientific experiments can be duplicated again and again,with identical results.
Theoretical mathematics push the limits of abstraction,but can be duplicated in result.
Applied mathematics is what scientists and engineers use.
You can't have science without mathematics.They're mutually inclusive.
Like foam rubber,no one was looking for global warming at the time it was discovered.It's roots are in astronomy and spectral analysis of light from celestial bodies.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #3095 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

gradual

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Most people don't measure peak oil based on proven oil reserve discoveries, but by either production or consumption; neither of which we've passed yet. It doesn't really matter if we have past it or not though, because the result is the same, a gradual weaning of oil consumption.

I went rafting with a large group of people once, and some of them were completely new to floating down a river. We needed to pull over prior to some rapids to better prepare for them, but some of those new people took that to mean "dire emergency; abandon ship". They were traumatized by the their hasty actions of abandoning ship and swimming for shore, when all that was needed was a calm paddle in the right direction.

You're suggesting we're in the middle of the rapids and need to abandon the ship (capitalism/liberty). I'm suggesting we're approaching some rapids and need to calmly maneuver the ship in the right direction.

A gradual weaning of oil consumption is preferred to the draconian State control of all industry, as you imply is necessary. Even if it were necessary, it wouldn't be sufficient because the rest of the world would also have to be on board with similar measures. We'd need to go to war to enforce the behavior of other countries, but would be defeated because our poor economy would stand no chance against those who exploit oil without restriction.
No doubt it WILL be gradual,as no one of significance in the American eye is talking about it.Quite the contrary!
It goes all the way to the top of the food chain.
What the climatologists are saying,is that we're already locked in to more warming than we're indicating and it's already getting expensive as it is.
So maybe we don't want to lollygag around too much or we'll screw the pooch.
Not only have we not stopped carbon emissions,we haven't done anything to remove some of what's already there,which is what the scientists advocate.
Around here,all they talk about is 'growing the economy.'
If you've read the Art of War,you know that government began with the military.It's the genesis of statecraft.You've probably seen some of the things a military is capable of.This doesn't change.
Capitalism is a construct,it doesn't occur in nature.Nor does liberty.
The President of the United States was willing to kill half the 'American' population in the 1860s.Something to remember.
We have at our disposal,the entire spectrum of human potentiality.I'd like to see an orderly transition,but I also see some structural impediments woven into our present social fabric,which includes the c-word.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #3096 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Quote:
Yeah,they've built,and are building a lot of coal-fired power plants.They also appear to be a global leader in wind,solar,and grid-scale electric storage,and building more hydro.
We can't control what they do,but many here would like to see the US set a positive example for the rest of the world.
And some scientists firmly believe that we haven't 'gone off the cliff' yet,so if they're correct,we have some time.How much I couldn't know.
In 2017 the US shrank carbon emissions more than any other country.
China increased carbon emissions more than anyone by a lot. They are an example for no one.

Yeah let's be more like china, bud some solar, wind and hydro and build a crap load of coal plants.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	china-emissions.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	24984  

Last edited by oil pan 4; 10-03-2018 at 05:11 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #3097 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

shrank

Quote:
In 2017 the US shrank carbon emissions more than any other country.
China increased carbon emissions more than anyone by a lot. They are an example for no one.

Yeah let's be more like china, bud some solar, wind and hydro and build a crap load of coal plants.
Hang on! Denton County, Texas is doing all they can to get emissions back up.They may be able to pull the entire national levels up to former levels.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:50 PM   #3098 (permalink)
Banned

In the first the presenter show a lot of statistics showing how violence, deads, plane crashes, car crachs, deads by natural disaster, car polution, homicides, wars casualities, had all lowered compared to today. And he points how people get sensitive about such things and how these things are more reported, due advances in comunications, making people create a fake sense of the world as worse today.

But for me it's a little hard to beleive on the statistic, pointed by the presenter, about plane accidents fatalities had be reduced 99% from 70's to today.

The second video it's about the battery created by John B. Goodenough. He points about the problems with storage of energy, and the limitations of actual lithium batteries, and describe the new features of his battery and all the advances in energy densit, cycles, cost, charging time. He also try to explain some thing, given the skeptciasm he discovery had among other academics/researchers, as he says the battery in point (cathode or anode) have ultra thin plates (nanoscale) and that changed and allowed Lithium in both ponts (cathode & anode).

Quote:
Could you please write up a brief synopsis of the presentation?
I get one day a week where I can hear audio,and a 1-hour video can take me up to 3-hours to go through to do a transcript.They're killing me!

Last edited by All Darc; 10-03-2018 at 06:00 PM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-06-2018), freebeard (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #3099 (permalink)
Banned

We can't just judge by how much CO2 a country produce, without also consider for what they produce.

China produce a lot of CO2, but most it's not for thenselves but for yor or mine cell phone and other things. We must judge also but who consume the products that required a lot of CO2 in the manufacturing or in the energy production required for manufacture.

If we judge by how much each people consume (products), among nations, forgive me to say that, but no one beats USA people and their thirst for consimism. USA people is always buyng new stuff, changing older stuff for fresh new stuff, using a lot of plastic.

Last edited by All Darc; 10-03-2018 at 06:15 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-06-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #3100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Religion differs from science-based technology and engineering,in that religion cannot be 'proven',in a scientific experiment,whereas scientific experiments can be duplicated again and again,with identical results.
[ponders the distinction between 'proven' and 'not falsifiable'.

Giant Meteor will mock our puny efforts.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam