View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
OfficeLinebacker
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
I would like to focus solely on the safety aspect of running small spare tires in the back. More precisely on the probabillity of a sudden and unexpected blowout from what would be normal use for regular tires. I don't care about traction, I don't care about wear, I don't care about sudden failure from hitting a pot hole, I can compensate through the way I drive to account for that. All I care about is a which point will it unexpectedly fail if I drive on the highway at 50 mph. Assuming the spares are relatively new, say less than 4 years, or even brand new.
Given that they're designed to be used safely below 50 MPH, and support more weight than the stock tires (being smaller, that corner of the car is lower, thus more weight) and can be used on the driven and/or steering wheels, I don't think the thing is going to blow out unexpectedly.

If you're conscientious about checking it and keeping the pressures up and the speeds down, it's not just going to spontaneously explode on you one day.

As I tread further out on my limb, I'd be wiling to bet that the compounds used are softer, thus giving more grip in relation to width, but therefore wear much faster, so I bet the thing would go bald before it went splat, and you can visually check for that.