View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #543 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Seems like the next step up from a direct coupler of some sort (such as a lovejoy) is to use the original clutch and flywheel, or at least a trimmed down version of the flywheel.

If I kept the flywheel, I would keep the clutch as well. Seems like more weight and design needed than necessary for a basic conversion.

I started taking the dashboard apart. I wanted to get at the back of the cigarette lighter plug. On this car, it is switched. I thought I could use this key-switched power source to turn on power to the DC motor controller.

When I took out the center console trim to get at it, guess what I found!?

The Airbag Computer! Nice to know it is totally separate from all of the internal combustion engine stuff. I will just not poke it while working around the dash here.

I also just discovered that once I pay for the 72V controller, I will have about $90 still left for this project. That's enough to buy a nice, on sale car radio with CD and MP3 input. That way I can rig up an MP3 player to play electric car sound effects, The Electric Slide song, or a recording of me talking about the car, so I can save my voice at car shows.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos