View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #35 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jray3 View Post
I like the simplicity of a motor spliced into the driveline,
...1987 diesel F250 has a two-piece driveline..
...I need to electrify the accessories like vacuum pump and power steering....
...there's space to replace...
..to be able to reposition the truck without cranking the engine...
...other than harvesting regen...
...Lastly, its a shame the EMIS by NetGain a decade ago never took off,...
Jay hit on a couple of key points that I've already thought about.

I really like the simplicity of an inline motor. My S10 is the extended cab version, which DOES have a split drive-shaft. I think Chevy decided that rather than making two different length driveshafts, that they would make one and then also an extension to go with it for the extended cab.

I'd plan to simplify any engine compartment accessories as best I could. Some of the older S10s had manual steering. It's a 3-bolt replacement to swap out power steering to manual steering on this truck. Steering would be the same whether the engine was on or off. I'd add a vacuum pump for the brakes, just like I did for the Electro-Metro. I'd also add a DC/DC converter that would run when the truck was in EV only mode.

The S10 was available with a 2.2 4 cylinder or a 4.3L 6 cylinder. Mine is the 2.2L which not only is more fuel efficient, but also means there's more room under the hood. I have a little bit of space to add a vacuum pump and extra large tank, for example.

I would definitely want to be able to use the electric system all by itself for a full EV mode including reverse. Using an inline AC motor would make that pretty easy. Using a big forklift motor as an inline drive might make things more complicated for reverse.

AC also makes it easy to do regenerative braking. Regen makes even more sense on a plug-in hybrid than an EV, as some of the fossil fuel energy could be converted charge the battery. This makes a few different modes possible including giving a steady slow charge to a depleted battery while driving on the interstate, and then switching back to full electric at a destination city.

The EMIS system was a really neat idea, but the main thing I didn't like about it is that it never allowed the truck engine to stop. The engine always had to be powering steering, brakes, alternator, etc.
Another neat trick with the EMIS is that it used throttle position data pulled through he ODBII port. Clever way to provide a throttle for both the gas engine and electric motor. I could try something along those lines or something more like a dedicated boat throttle for the motor (cruise is built in!)
Taking some of the ideas of the EMIS system but updating it with an AC motor and controller and designing the system so the engine could be powered down would make for a great hybrid system.

Lastly, I really like that with an inline motor, it's essentially only ADDING things to an existing vehicle. That means that I can do things like pass emissions testing using the stock engine. Keeping the original truck ECU would also let me just use a Scanguage on the ODBII and set it to HYBRID mode so that I could still track total fuel economy. Stock is always good when having to deal with the DMV.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos