View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #259 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I do not think that I have ever paid $80 a day to rent a vehicle.
Too much of The World of Cars is in people’s heads. Actually, their unexamined emotions.

$80 is damned cheap to start to get a feel for what it can do. A hard day of errands where cold wind & rain while grocery-getting and supply acquisition is the schedule.

It’s not the buy-in price that matters. It’s whether the damned thing gets used.

Strike One,
if it’s inconvenient, unwieldy or one gets the jitters with pickup owners running traffic lights.

Strike Two,
if it’s unreliable in such conditions (car guys::this crowd) have a lot of patience for sorting, but what’s a toy and what’s a tool shouldn’t take long to figure out.

$80 times X-days of use is a cheap way of getting ahead of the curve.

To spend $12k on such is flat dumb if “the real car” doesn’t ALREADY have weatherproof storage. It’s lifespan maximized in all aspects. The only valid function of an Arcimoto is in furthering that span.

(I can’t wait to read the defenses of avoiding public transportation. Coupled to all the classic crunchy granola, Birkenstock sandal & dirndl skirt wearing misunderstandings of Virtue).

As such a vehicle as substitute is a risk increase to health & life not justified by “money savings”, both personally and to society, it’s a stretch by any measure to call it economical.

Still, money savings isn’t an abstraction. It’s a starting point. Thus, whether the damned thing gets used

is the first question.

Last edited by slowmover; 11-18-2018 at 08:11 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (11-20-2018)