View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
148 hp combined? What is the non-hybrid power rating? That's pathetic for a 2L engine alone, not to mention the electric motors should be adding another 50hp.

Still, I'm intrigued. My wife has wanted one of these for a while now, and that's the only car she has specifically mentioned as liking.

I wonder, is the cargo floor flat with the seats folded forward?

Does this have a heat pump, grid heater, or rely on engine heat?

Toyota managed to go completely beltless with the gen III Prius. I wonder if this is beltless too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
Honestly I have no idea why Subaru doesn’t apply the hybrid tech to the lighter and smaller frontal area Impreza... the one my ex had was geared pretty well with the base model wheel/tire size and if you drove it gently you could have trips come in over 40mpg on its FCD...

I think the issue with the Crosstrek hybrid is that they used the Crosstrek as it’s base... 148hp moving 3700lb probably feels a little underpowered, making drivers have to use lots of right foot to get moving... couple that with the long “1st gear” in that CVT (it would do 50mph by the time you had wound the engine out to peak power) and the taller stance and there’s no wonder why it performs so poorly...
Hybrid drivetrains make more sense the heavier you go, not the lighter. There's no point in the Gen I Insight, for instance.

That said, an eCVT is not the same as the CVT used in the "automatic" versions of the Subaru. There's no reason the engine couldn't be at peak horsepower instantly using an eCVT.

I'm curious what the 0-60 time is for the auto vs this plug-in.

I don't know why companies throw away their federal tax credit benefits by building these smaller batteries. If a company had any sense, they would build the minimum size battery that qualifies for the full rebate amount like what was done with the Chevy Volt.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!