View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #3846 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
completely dependent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I'm not recommending further fossil fuel use. Since it is not even a possible choice to just leave it in the ground. What I am trying to say is that we are completely dependant on it. And the impending diminished access to oil and other crucial depleted resources will bring a societal collapse. Before any comparably destructive effects of climate change manifest. This is totally unbeknownst to most people. Climate change has totally distracted the conversation and planning away from addressing the complete social reordering that is headed for us as primary energy slips forever away to a lower level.
As they say,'The exception proves the rule.'
From where I'm standing,I see plenty of off-the-shelf technology which can supplant a lot of what is presently being accomplished with internal combustion and fossil fuel.
And sure,things don't happen overnight.
Societal collapse scares 1-percenters,they'll do whatever they can to prevent anarchy and chaos.This is something Thomas Malthus addressed explicitly,even if it takes a Hitler or Mussolini.We'll have a 100% bonafide police state before we have anarchy.And the US military will fire upon the general population if it has to.They've already done it.
I really do believe that there will be a slow,incremental,orderly transition to whatever new paradigm those in a position of authority select.
The alternative will be too horrible to contemplate.