View Single Post
Old 11-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
All of the start ups such as Electra Meccanica and Archimoto are relegated to building three wheelers in order to circumvent nanny state crash testing. Mandating every car to obviate user responsibility via 500 kg's and $5,000 of safety structure and equipment is regressive. It prohibits development of ultralight 4 wheeled transportation which would be much more sustainable than the 2,000 kg monsters we are stuck making now. This mandate killed Aptera.
Don't get me started.

The government has all sorts of nanny rules that don't make sense. It's illegal to be in a boat without life jackets onboard, but not illegal to be in the lake with no life jacket.

A car has to pass crash safety, and an occupant must wear a seatbelt, unless the person is riding a motorcycle.

All sorts of homeopathic "medicine" that is unregulated, but I can't go to a healthcare professional that isn't licensed, or licensed at a lower level than Dr or PA.

Government should allow unregulated (almost) everything, so long as the unregulated things clearly state they are unregulated, and that the user accepts a higher level of responsibility.

Consumer advocacy groups would pop up that would help guide people's decisions.

We live in absurd times.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
pete c (01-05-2019)