View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Decent economy for just starting out! You're actually beating my winter economy numbers already, but these cars are very sensitive to temperature and it's been wicked cold here - down to 6F yesterday. Driving from Vermont to Michigan I was averaging 55mpg at 55mph until I got out of the Adirondacks, at which point it improved to around 60mpg at 70mph, probably mostly due to increased outside air temperature. Right now I don't have my grille 100% blocked or my warm air intake installed (which I very highly recommend) since I expect to pull the engine in less than 2 weeks.

Probably worth mentioning but the IMA/regen switch doesn't work the same way on the (I believe) 05-06 models. I think you still get assist, just no regen, which isn't terribly helpful in my opinion. Might be useful with a falling battery but yours doesn't sound to be that. They do behave differently in other ways too than earlier years but I wouldn't call it better or worse.

Regarding batteries, what you saw was a "positive recalibration". It's probably an oversimplification to say that it has 60% of its original capacity, but that may not be far from the truth. The car was charging the battery until it saw the battery voltage begin to rise rapidly, suggesting it was full, at which point it adjusted it's capacity estimate and recalibrated the gauge. Even new batteries can have this happen.

Is it a front or rear wheel bearing? Rear you can very likely do yourself.