View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 12:36 AM   #42 (permalink)
ModNewb
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up GO for it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Question for you folks..

Is it TOO LATE to build a plug-in Hybrid Pickup truck?

This is a project I've thought about for a long time, but never happened for a number of reasons. Now, there are plenty of cheap used electric cars out there but NO trucks!

Even vehicles like a used Volt are rather inexpensive. Trying to build a hybrid pickup would start to come close to the cost of some used factory-built vehicle. How soon will we have a plug-in hybrid or long-range EV pickup truck?

I think I now have a few more skills, connections, etc. then I did when I originally had the idea. I actually have quite a few followers on YouTube and bet I could do a fund-raiser to buy the batteries and other key parts.

Bare minimum commitment would be 6 months, (with a year of tinkering to follow, if my other projects mean anything...)

What do you think, is it WORTH it to build a hybrid pickup truck? Or is it too late?

Here's my original concept video from a few years back.

Hi Bennelson,

Yes, you should still pursue the PHEV truck! All of us here are curious to see how this will work out and you will help pioneer a new generation of ecomods

That said, I've done some research and here are my findings:

First, a recap of your last idea

The idea of using an electric motor after the transmission is viable but tricky since it requires a synchronisation of both the original power train and e-motor when in hybrid mode...

XL Hybrids has worked with Ford to implement this idea - see their version below:

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/0...ord-f-150.html

IT is possible, but harder.

Personally, I think you would be better off making a robust serial hybrid, similar to what VIA motors did with their Silverado prototype a few years ago-

There's also books written on this subject-
On Amazon, you can find "The Zero-Carbon Car: Building the Car the Auto Industry Can't Get Right"

https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Carbon-Car-Building-Industry-Right/dp/0973323345

They used a Miata as a glider and made their own biodiesel powered PHEV

Based on my calculations, if you go the serial hybrid route, you'll need a generator that put out 15-30 KWh for a light vehicle (3500 lbs or less) for highway use, unloaded.

If you still have that massive DC motor (warp 11?) - I would ditch the 5 speed and couple it to 1 or 2 Gear Vendor overdrives - it solves the overspeed issue and is shorter overall, which leaves room for more items

Extra: check this out-
Spencer Stromberg's 1999 Ford Ranger

Review and tell me what you think