Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #41 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
The ranger uses a multipurpose frame with appropriate holes for either version which are rivet on changes.

No experience with anything but a 1999 S10 ZR2 which was odd

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-25-2018, 12:36 AM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up GO for it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Question for you folks..

Is it TOO LATE to build a plug-in Hybrid Pickup truck?

This is a project I've thought about for a long time, but never happened for a number of reasons. Now, there are plenty of cheap used electric cars out there but NO trucks!

Even vehicles like a used Volt are rather inexpensive. Trying to build a hybrid pickup would start to come close to the cost of some used factory-built vehicle. How soon will we have a plug-in hybrid or long-range EV pickup truck?

I think I now have a few more skills, connections, etc. then I did when I originally had the idea. I actually have quite a few followers on YouTube and bet I could do a fund-raiser to buy the batteries and other key parts.

Bare minimum commitment would be 6 months, (with a year of tinkering to follow, if my other projects mean anything...)

What do you think, is it WORTH it to build a hybrid pickup truck? Or is it too late?

Here's my original concept video from a few years back.

Hi Bennelson,

Yes, you should still pursue the PHEV truck! All of us here are curious to see how this will work out and you will help pioneer a new generation of ecomods

That said, I've done some research and here are my findings:

First, a recap of your last idea

The idea of using an electric motor after the transmission is viable but tricky since it requires a synchronisation of both the original power train and e-motor when in hybrid mode...

XL Hybrids has worked with Ford to implement this idea - see their version below:

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/0...ord-f-150.html

IT is possible, but harder.

Personally, I think you would be better off making a robust serial hybrid, similar to what VIA motors did with their Silverado prototype a few years ago-

There's also books written on this subject-
On Amazon, you can find "The Zero-Carbon Car: Building the Car the Auto Industry Can't Get Right"

https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Carbon-Car-Building-Industry-Right/dp/0973323345

They used a Miata as a glider and made their own biodiesel powered PHEV

Based on my calculations, if you go the serial hybrid route, you'll need a generator that put out 15-30 KWh for a light vehicle (3500 lbs or less) for highway use, unloaded.

If you still have that massive DC motor (warp 11?) - I would ditch the 5 speed and couple it to 1 or 2 Gear Vendor overdrives - it solves the overspeed issue and is shorter overall, which leaves room for more items

Extra: check this out-
Spencer Stromberg's 1999 Ford Ranger

Review and tell me what you think
Old 02-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #43 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Sometimes I wonder how hard it would be to fit some different drivetrain into those Chinese mini trucks. One could even get a double-cab one...
Old 02-10-2019, 11:18 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts

EVTV Motor Verks Store: Torque Box 2:1 Gear Box, Drive Train Components, torquebox

Simplify and add lightness. This will lighten your wallet by $3500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModNewb
Based on my calculations, if you go the serial hybrid route, you'll need a generator that put out 15-30 KWh for a light vehicle (3500 lbs or less) for highway use, unloaded.
That would be one or two Impala/LaCrosse 20hp altermotors. https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tor-35003.html

Quote:
Is it TOO LATE to build a plug-in Hybrid Pickup truck?
The video is from 2012. I haven't made much progress on my EV conversion either.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am thinking of the ac-50 motor and chain drive it to the front pully of an engine. Not the best setup but simple and would work. Perhaps I will look into the Chevy Colorado pickup with the stick shift? This might be the last year it is available as a stick shift in the US? Probably not enough room though.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
Last 3: 18.4 mpg (US)

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 17.08 mpg (US)

2022 - '08 chevy Tahoe LT
Last 3: 14.38 mpg (US)

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
Last 3: 22.61 mpg (US)

2024 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
90 day: 22.35 mpg (US)
Why not just buy an off the shelf unit such as the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid

and convert it to on the grid charging ?

it comes in RWD and 4x4 flavors.. there was plans for the plug in

The Following User Says Thank You to Tahoe_Hybrid For This Useful Post:
enator (06-06-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
hybrid, pickup, plug-in, truck