View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #3910 (permalink)
Lemmy
Ecomodding Englishman

The Turdis - '05 Smart Fortwo Cabrio Passion
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
You don't seem to get the concept of wanting to increase comfort efficiently.
I get it alright, there is no need to be patronising.

I would suggest that it's you who doesn't get it. If you're truly interested in efficiency you wouldn't be wasting resources on 'comfort'. Expending resources, no matter how minor, on something that is not essential is not efficient - it's frivolous. Each time we do so we bring closer the day when the resources will no longer exist to be used on genuinely useful stuff.

I spend zero on preheating a car cabin in the name of comfort by simply putting it away when its not in use, and then dressing appropriately for the Winter weather when venturing forth. Minus high teens Celsius is quite common in the Winter here, so the challenges faced by myself are comparable, and I do just dandy without wasting a joule of energy. I've addressed the problem, not the symptom.

If you're genuinely interested in efficiency then I challenge you to better that, or to at least make an effort to match it. Using precious energy to pre heat a cars cabin, no matter how cunningly the task is approached, is not efficient - its wasteful, and there is simply no other way to describe it with out being disingenuous.

Better still, look at the journey being considered before even preheating a car. Can it be walked or achieved by other means? Is it necessary to use a xxxx-kg car with 3 or 4 empty seats in the first place? When you start thinking along those lines, then you'll genuinely start to be using resources efficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Do they go on to discuss the implications of ICE vehicle,remote-start keyless ignition,cabin preheating with 66% thermal losses and carbon dioxide emissions at zero-mpg?
Ah, I see you've met them

2004 Smart Fortwo 0.7 petrol.
Motorbike.
Many, many bicycles.
2019 Volvo XC90 T8 - 400BHP plug in hybrid insanity.

All journeys I do under 10 miles are human powered - I make journeys, not excuses..
2019 mileage - 1900 by car, 7100 by bicycle.

Last edited by Lemmy; 11-28-2018 at 02:23 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to Lemmy For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-28-2018)