Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #774 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
In that source they mention that each model 3 costs about $38,000, which is a problem because they are aiming for a $35,000 base model. On Twitter Musk said that if they sold the $35,000 version now they would die. Musk also reportedly gave the largest cause of their problems:

Quote:
Body production currently appears to be our limiting factor, so it needs the most support right now.
Jason Torchinsky then writes:

Quote:
[T]hey need to leverage the relative portability of their technology and partner with an automaker that as yet has no clearly defined future plans for electric vehicles, yet who are large enough to be a major automaker. I can think of two companies that would fit that description quite well at the moment: Subaru and Mazda.
Quote:
Tesla would sell Model 3 chassis and associated software and hardware to their partner company, who would engineer and design bodies (and all the associated interior parts, etc) for the Tesla-powered chassis.

There could be whole lines of Tesla-powered cars. Subaru could have a Tesla-Outback and Mazda a Tesla Mazda 3—anything that was roughly the same wheelbase as the Model 3 chassis. There could be multiple bodies and types of cars made for the Tesla skateboard chassis, and they could be built by companies with plenty of experience.
What do you guys think? I do not think this is the first time that I have read Musk is hurting himself by trying to reinvent everything.