View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

<looks at calendar>

Cookie Go Day is Saturday, Feb 9, 2019. That's only 9 weekends from today, including the X-Mas and New Year's holidays, and I must assume the cookies get picked up the weekend before, so I net 8 weekends. I'll have some time during the holidays, but the family won't like me being in the garage all that time. With two kids and the rest of the usual homeowner stuff, I don't get to use too many weekends for garage time.

I can commit to the brake line, and possibly the shackles, if a bolt doesn't break during removal. Those can be done reasonably on a "put the butt end of the Green Truck halfway into the garage, wear warm clothing, use the 300-Watt Halogen lamp as a heat source" basis, so long as it isn't snowing/isn't excessively windy. Not doing an axle swap without being able to close the door and turn on the heater, though.

Black Truck is just for parts. I doubt I can strip it completely/competently by that Feb 9 deadline, and it is a royal pain to move it because it cannot move under its own power - no transmission/transfer/driveshafts. Can't run right now either - no exhaust/02 sensors/battery/starter. I'll nibble at it as time permits, and prep all the goodies for swapping onto Green Truck so I have only 1 truck's worth of rusty bolts to deal with for a given job on Green Truck.

Saw that 30mpg thread a while ago and have it bookmarked. SOHC so his engine mods won't work on my OHV truck, and custom tunes to boot. 2WD and an automatic, as well, so a bit more orange than apple, so to speak. With the Green Truck drinking a bit of coolant, I don't want to put synthetic in it just yet. Basically, I've got more things to repair before I can start modifying for mpg - need a good baseline. The ForScan app on phone and an OBD2 dongle will allow me to do some feedback-assisted adjustment of the nut behind the steering wheel. That app will also allow me to reprogram the speedo/odo after the axle swap and tire swap, program more keys, etc.