Thread: Rocket-tabs
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 12:03 PM   #71 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Update?
Here's my data so far, formatted as best I could.

-I didn't move the Rocket Tabs over from my summer tires, so after I switched to winters I was running without.

-My 12v battery failed when the temperature dipped low enough that I needed snow tires. Also that dataset (yellow) was so small you can almost throw it out.

-Winter and summer tires are the same size. Summer are Potenza RE92, winter are Nokian Nordman 5.

Some thoughts:

There's definitely a relationship between temperature and fuel economy. The relationship for the whole dataset is f(x) = 0.09x + 51.9. Or, in other words, a change in 1 degree F results in a drop in average economy of 0.1mpg in my car.

The Rocket Tabs are an outlier in terms of slope. It could have been weather related; by the time I got them on, the weather was deteriorating and we were getting a lot of ugly, rainy days. If cooler days were drier AND rain affected MPG more than temperature, it could produce that negative slope. Still, weird. You could also choose to interpret it that the Rocket Tabs hurt economy when it's warm and help when it's cold, but I doubt that's the case. Or maybe it was just bad luck. Lots of traffic in my commute at the end of the season? I dunno.

Overall, winter tires + supercapacitors delivered better fuel economy (adjusted for temperature) than legendary RE92 summer tires and a normal 12v battery, OR Rocket Tabs. So at least in terms of what my limited data support, Supercapacitors are the real winner here. Want to safe fuel? Ditch the 12v battery.

Last edited by Ecky; 12-08-2018 at 12:12 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
samwichse (12-10-2018), Xist (12-09-2018)