Thread: Rocket-tabs
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 12:22 PM   #73 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Are you saying your new (lithum?) battery improved your fuel economy over a standard 12V battery? By how much?
Hard to say exactly since there are so many variables.

-The 12v was probably getting weak weeks or months before and thus causing my charger to draw more power from the engine.

-Charging a lithium battery is more efficient than a lead acid, and charging capacitors is a lot more efficient than that, even.

However I'd say that's largely irrelevant because the lithium battery is behind a resistor so it's not playing much of a role here, it's mostly just keeping the caps topped off when the car is off. You're mostly seeing supercapacitors vs a lead acid battery (which in this dataset declined very rapidly as temperature dropped).

From what I understand a 12v battery will have a resting voltage of around 12.6v. While your car is running, your alternator (or DC-DC converter) is producing a higher voltage than that. This causes current to trickle into the battery, which is turned into heat and lost while the battery is full. By contrast, a lithium battery OR supercapacitors will actually sit at that ~14v the charging system provides. Maybe someone with a better electrical background can provide more or better information.