View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 06:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Subscribed!

I added some high-end LEDs to my girlfriend's Fit. The cutoff is more vague than with halogens, presumably (as pointed out in another thread) due to halogens having a very small filament VS LEDs having a much wider area producing the light. It's not terrible, but neither is it ideal. Most of her driving is on country roads at night and they're definitely brighter.

HIDs in projectors would have both better cutoff and be brighter than even the best LEDs, but 35w don't save as much power as one would expect due to the ballasts being rather lossy. A forum member here showed that (I believe) 35w were closer to 55w after all of the conversion losses.

EDIT: So far as fuel economy goes, it's a drop in the bucket. 1HP is ~746 watts. 35w LEDs might only be around 10w per side with low beams on, but a savings of ~35w total would then be worth only 1/20 of 1HP. If you need ~20HP to cruise on the highway that's a savings of a grand total of a quarter of a percent, or roughly 38mpg -> 38.01mpg - a hundredth of a mile per gallon.

It all adds up, of course. I have LEDs in most every other socket in my car.