View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #4060 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler
There is nothing very paradoxical about humans being forced back to using clotheslines to dry their laundry and horses to plow their fields after fossil fuel gets remote.
I think the point eludes you. The paradox isn't about karmic comeuppance, it's about economic accounting. If you eschew the electric clothes dryer, electric consumption drops (a lot). But solar can't claim the savings. Hence, paradox.

Quote:
Aerohead, once again I do not see any correlation between your responses and the posts to which you are responding. Please show us where Sendler said "Burn it all!"

Please explain how we are supposed to transition from carbon to renewable energy, using small words, and spaces after punctuation. Please explain how renewable energy is supposed to keep the poor warm in the winter in this country, let alone in third-world countries. Please explain how semis, ships, and planes are supposed to go electric.

Please stop telling people to earn a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering until you have a P.h.D. in environmental sciences.

Or why don't you stop hanging out with unwashed heathens and find some intellectual peers?
That last line is a bit harsh. I haven't seen you putting your experiments in the Darko wind tunnel. Are you saying your intellectual peers are not unwashed and heathen?

But you said "Please explain" (three times, but you forgot to click your heels). Allow me.

The explanation lies in the conversation between ferinstance aerohead and All Darc. 60s hippy optimism vs all that dark cynicism about the base nature of humans.

Quote:
Please explain how we are supposed to transition from carbon to renewable energy, using small words, and spaces after punctuation.

https://xkcd.com/thing-explainer/

Quote:
Please explain how renewable energy is supposed to keep the poor warm in the winter in this country, let alone in third-world countries.
Materials science. Push the problem down to the molecular level ("there's plenty of room at the bottom"). For instance by making glass that is energy harvesting and photochromic and has an inner layer of Cloud Gel. Then distributing it on an industrial scale, while simultaneously doing everything else as well.

Quote:
Please explain how semis, ships, and planes are supposed to go electric.
They make one last shipment of 3D printers and generative adversarial AI, and they everyone just stays home.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-12-2018), NeilBlanchard (12-12-2018)