View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #4134 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
You keep saying that, but it is not like people cannot make choices, nor do those choices necessarily mean a worse life.
You don't really need a gas guzzler. You don't need to fly around the world just for a beach holiday. You can insulate your house. You can weigh pollution and energy use in with all your decisions. It does not have to ruin your life.

Taxing can be a way to steer people away from the bad stuff and the revenue can be used to subsidize greener alternatives. It wouldn't take the right to choose away, but it does nudge people in the desired direction.
No denying any of that. This is essentially what I've been saying, that gentle yet progressive taxation is probably the best way to steer consumers and industry into less waste.

My point though is that this merely delays warming by trivial amounts of time. As a thought experiment, it would be interesting to know what level of fossil fuel consumption would hold CO2 steady given our current population and assuming it doesn't grow.

US energy consumption is highest per capita, but our population hardly grows, and has remained relatively steady. We've got lots of room to cut, and it should be cut, but the problem is much bigger than the US.

Notice that energy consumption drops with the health of the economy. They are strongly correlated.

As an aside, air travel is a very efficient means of travel. It can be near 100 passenger miles per gallon. 2 people in my Prius breaks even, and it would take 3 to exceed that efficiency. For the average vehicle, it takes 4 passengers to equal the efficiency of air travel.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-22-2018), RedDevil (12-17-2018)