View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 03:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Sounds like a crude DIY propane add-on. Half the reason I haven't set up my own is that, as I understand it, propane like to burn exhaust valves if it's running rich. If you're depending on the O2 sensor to prevent it by reducing how much fuel it's putting in, chances are it's going to be running rich a lot of the time...until the ECU has time to compensate.

Of course, for all I know, it might not be a concern with such a small ratio or propane.

Another reason I didn't want to do it is the car I was willing to try it on depended on a MAP sensor to decide on it's A/F ratio...if you introduced a gaseous substance, it would see it as there being more air in the manifold and would, presumably, think it needs to add more fuel to the mix, when it should be adding less.

I'd prefer to use it on something that uses a MAF sensor. Not only could you avoid the engine thinking there's more air going in, but if you could add air along with the propane post-MAF, at the right ratio, the ECU wouldn't have much to compensate for. Something I'd like to try one day...