View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
Snax
Master EcoModder

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
How long does it really take to change the oil and spark plugs? I can change the oil in my Civic without tools. Pop the hood, slide the pan under, release the QuickValve, stand up, unscrew the filter, and do something while everything drains.

Screw on a new filter, close the Fumoto, slide out the pan, screw in the cover, and top off the oil. It also gives me a chance to check out the undercarriage, but I guess that is not important with an electric vehicle.

Spark plugs? Pop the hood, pop the boots, and use my speed wrench to pull the plugs. Drop in new plugs, tighten, pop on the boots, and close the hood.

Also, I have a car that drives the same distance year after year.
That's DIY vs. the masses that don't for one thing. I don't think there is any question that people who can and are willing to wrench some can save money with an ICE.

But realistically, how long DOES it take for you to do those things? You have to purchase them. You have to gap plugs. You have to deal with oil cleanup and disposal.

No, it's not a lot, but it adds up over time, and it is MUCH more time if one does not DIY. I personally HATE dealing with mundane things like oil and spark plug changes. I pay others to do the former and reluctantly do the latter myself because I know how ridiculously shops will rip people off, but that is me. Most people do none of it themselves.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/many-am...re-study-finds

WE are doers. We understand this stuff. It's easy to take for granted that most people cannot be bothered with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snax For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (12-17-2018), redpoint5 (12-17-2018)