View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 10:18 PM   #39 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
In my experience, my Nissan Leaf was the easiest car to work on. I plugged it in. Then I'd unplug it. Once in a while I'd check the brake pads, suspension parts, CV axle boots, etc. But I never had to replace a thing.

The next easiest car was my 1984 VW Golf diesel. It was like the Leaf except I had to change the oil every 5,000 miles or so and needed a CV axle replaced nearly once a year. I got so good at changing them that I can now change a VW CV axle in about 10 minutes. The car was also needing the timing belt replaced, and the valve lash and the ignition timing checked and adjusted if necessary. But I never got around to doing it while I owned the car. But for a car with 700,000 miles on it and still running strong it was a wonderful car to work on. Or should I say, "to not have to work on very much."

Now I have a 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid. It has been easy so far for the 4 months I've owned it. Just mainly oil changes, which I've already had to do two since I bought it. It did throw me for a loop that I needed a special tool to remove the oil filter. I also changed the transmission fluid on it, but got confused and drained the inverter coolant. (Who would have thought that the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission is for the inverter.) But right now the engine coolant temperature seems to be a bit low, making me think the thermostat may need replaced. And I'm having a hard time figuring this car out. I can't get a Haynes manual for it. So right now I'm kind of in the dark. With both of my old VW's I was able to get the original factory repair manuals for them.

Sure. Electronic stuff makes "it easy" for some people to just look up a code and google it. In my Chevy Astro I had the "Service Engine Soon" light constantly flashing. I changed nearly everything on that engine as far as the ignition and fuel injection systems go and never got the thing to stop flashing. I even had the factory repair manual that cost me some $200 and a Chinese GM Tech 2 for $300 and several other specialty tools I'll probably never use again and I still couldn't figure it out. It did run great, but that light drove me nuts.