View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #76 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,518 Times in 1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash68 View Post
I would not do any of the arduino stuff
In Vermont if you have a CEL your car is taken off the road unless or until it's fixed. The best fix for a dead IMA battery is of course not to bypass it, but to buy a new battery. However most aftermarket batteries don't last more than 3-4 years and $2,000 every 3-4 years isn't exactly cost effective. Aftermarket Chinese cells are garbage and the youngest OEM cells are more than 12 years old at this point.

Quote:
or WAI mods
These are easily worth 10-20mpg on longer trips when it's -10 outside, they cut engine wear, and the cost to put one on is negligible. WAI is easily one of the most proven effective mods outside of increased tire pressure.

Quote:
The money savings from 60mpg to 70mpg is literally spare change, so it isn't worth it. But insights? They are starting to become collectible.

Focus on things that make the car more enjoyable.
I'm actually quite in agreement here anymore.

Back when I was a poor college student I was all about the 80+mpg tanks, but now I'm content to just keep the car clean and comfortable, and spend 1/3 on gas that my coworkers spend. Fuel economy is more a hobby than for the actual savings, spending as little as I do on gas.

Quote:
I have upgraded the door speakers, installed a sub, installed under dash lighting (amber to match the gauges), HID for better illumination, etc.

The car is already great, stock. Just make it a nicer place to spend time and focus on your driving.
Sounds like we've done most of the same things.