View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
No, You put in around 4 times more work to generate the hydrogen than you get out by burning the hydrogen.

Note that my calculations are very generous too.
Assuming that the power from burning of hydrogen with oxygen is the reason for the increase in mileage. (it isn't)

Also, assuming that superheated steam after combustion has no effect on the engine power output near the bottom of the stroke.

Also assuming that hydroxy byproducts have no effect on leaning or the internal temperatures of combustion. (They also can have effects on sensors and negative effects on catalytics.)

Also Assuming that the half reactions between hydrogen, oxygen & nitrogen on the hydrocarbons do not result in lower entropy paths during combustion.
http://stinet.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=...fier=AD0640169
Check your chem books there are a good deal many paths for hydrocarbon reactions with hydrogen and nitrogen in the mix.

And lastly you have to assume the guy is going to put that in a vehicle, call it a guess but it looks like a setup I would use if I wanted to be welding, which is another interesting use for these units.

To the poster...

To limit current you either need to
1. Change the amount of KOH electrolite (you usually need very little)
2. If you want full control you will need some sort of PWM circuit very similar to what is used on my electric car

The best method of producing hydrogen is by using very brief high voltage pulses, this helps reduce the amount of water vapor. The number and intensity of the pulses determine the rate of production. Oddly enough this circuit Lead Acid Battery Desulfator
for desulphating batteries works well for stationary cells (at home) if you mod it slightly and make sure to set the pulse width small enough to limit amperage to an acceptable level.

A word of warning...

Although it is not in question that if you take the effort to lean beyond just putting an efficient HHO setup in your truck, you will see an improvement in mileage... you should be warned.

Take care to remember that KOH is generally needed as a reactant and will cause engine damage over time, rust, pitting and other issues (baking soda is worse, salt makes chlorine which can kill you), you must take the time to put a proper filter (minimum) or scrubber to keep that nasty stuff out of your engine. Even distance can help in this regard and definately a 2 bowl (canister/bubbler) technique helps.

Also note that you will not see significant increases in mileage (what you feel is significant and what I do are probably different) unless you lean the engine (I assume a newer vehicle). As you probably know leaning an engine can destroy your engine, the jury is out on how far is safe over the long term but I wouldn't recommend doing it too far without a dyno and temperature modules.

Another definate recommendation is to use Acetone anytime you use hydroxy. Your mileage gains will be greater with the combination of acetone and hydroxy as it assists with the excess water vapor and improves lean run ignition. (it also has some interesting timing effects) Acetone can also be run in diesels but only in small quantities aka under 1.5oz per 10 gallon

All the things I mention are in the public domain and freely available, don't pay for ebooks or information, don't buy kits as most all are a ripoff, build your own circuits and system.

Also there are many much much more knowlegable than me on the issue take a look on the many forums and you should find the information you are looking for.

As for me I do not have an HHO box currently fitted, the dangers outweighed the mileage benefit but I am planning on giving it a go again with many of the things I listed above, pulse circuit, filter, etc. I also plan on using it on an old rusted valueless vehicle to negate my fears of destroying it when messing with the lean dials. As for recommendations on PWM or pulsers I can't give one many are in developement and most recommend building your own to the size you need, I myself do not have a new HHO box on my vehicle because of indecision on this matter (that and I couldn't decide which vehicle to sacrafice after finding out about the corrosion issues).

Good Luck On Your Ventures, take care to remember many things are not as easy as they seem to make work well and there may be consequences down the road. Be prepared for these issues and they shouldn't bother you in the future.

Last edited by rmay635703; 09-04-2008 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: bleh, missed an and