View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Pretty sure I still have classes going then. Otherwise I'd definitely be interested in attending, if only to watch others compete. I haven't consistently broken 100 MPG in my Insight yet, nor do I have a boattail, so I don't consider myself worthy to compete.
mpg_numbers_guy, I see your numbers. Nearly 80 mpg in two tanks this winter, and another that was "only" 70.05 mpg due to rough weather. If you drive in the GGP, you may very well beat me - and I'm fine with that! The weather will be a bit warmer in April, but it affects us all, more or less the same.

That is to say, you don't need more than what you have going now, to be a contender in the Green Grand Prix. Yes, there are photo galleries with images of some rather amazing looking GGP cars from past years - but often there are none of those. And even when there's an amazing car there, they''re rarely in the same class as you or me. Different number of cylinders or different fuel type, or they're non-production (home built or otherwise total project cars). I always enjoy seeing those cars and talking with the driver/builders. And the other entrants too. Lots of very interesting cars, and people too, at any Green Grand Prix.

So, if you can get the time free, please do come. You won't be sorry!

I drive about 300 miles from CT. I drive up on Thursday, so I use a hotel room for Thursday night and again Friday night. Drive home Saturday. The awards dinner goes till about 7:30 pm, so a person could get on the road promptly after that, and spend the night somewhere a couple hours closer to home.