View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The degradation to engine oil & ring life is what you’re missing. The amount of acids formed is prohibitive.

Year-round, cutting the total time (not distance) to engine op temp is key. The “winter penalty” is somewhat offset by year-round attention to the problem.

The insulated garage is the answer.

In the meantime it’s making best use of tools: pre-heat, trip plan for initial miles, and recognizing the difference between empty and loaded (wherein not entering a highway from cold start on a cold day be offset by several miles of lower speed warmup).

(Cutting potential vehicle life by objecting to electricity use makes no sense).
Maybe, but I have never blown the lubricated part of an engine in any car or truck I have ever had. Even at over 300,000 miles on some of them. Every other part of the drivetrain will fail 3 times or more before you get to that point of worrying about rings and bearings. I did have a flat lobe on a camshaft once at 175,000 miles but it was a known metallurgy issue with a small window of cams manufactured that year.
I agree the garage is best and you don't even have to full on heat it. I have a furnace in the garage but only use it I'd I'm working in there. Most days the process of parking the fully warmed up car in there and closing it up keeps the temperature inside above freezing even when the lows get down in the teens and that's just one car in a detached 24x36 space.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
roosterk0031 (01-09-2019)