View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

I had a chance to drive a 1st gen., pre-update Cruze this week (first time in a Cruze for me).

6-speed, conventional torque converter automatic with a manual mode like the Audi & Jeep CVT's.

Not surprisingly, like the CVT's, the default programming upshifts a lot later than you can make it shift manually. Though I can't count how many times the car told me "SHIFT DENIED" when I asked for an early upshift. Funny.

The other interesting eco-driving transmission factoid: you can force the car to start off in 2nd gear by requesting an upshift when stopped.
My ex had one of those, with the 1.4T and the 6T45 you drove, I remember it not allowing 6th before like 37mph... it would deliver good mileage in 6th if you kept it to like 45-50mph and kept it out of boost...

What I didn’t like is the gearing... when accelerating at WOT it would shift three times by the time it got to 60... engine had a really narrow power band, you had to really work the shifter to keep it happy, it had lots of turbo lag below 3500, and fell on its face above 5500... they say that a ZZP tune helps lots with the power curve, but I know it also voids the warranty on a car that still had one left...

My last Ecotec project...