Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #856 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjessee00 View Post
I want a Subaru Outback as an EV. It is big enough for almost everything I have ever wanted to carry, and when it isn't, I rent a trailer for less than $20/day.

... snip ...

If the Tesla Model Y is out by then and meets my wants and needs and is something I can afford, then that would be awesome... but I hope in the 5 to 7 years that I will have several options for an all wheel drive passenger vehicle that seats 4 adults comfortably, can tow 3-4,000 lbs easily, has about as much cargo space as an outback, and has about 250-300+ miles of range.
My asks (that I was not able to fill with an EV)

- commute with 2 people comfortably and economically
- can drive a few miles on a gravel road without losing the undercarriage on a pothole
- Pull a boat on a trailer twice a year (4500 lbs)
- room for 5 people ... sort of comfortably ... for short trips (to the hockey rink and back, or out for supper) ... so I need room for a kids hockey bag too

Right now I'm working on other projects.

In about 5 years I hope to restore (function over looks) an F-150 crew cab (or a Chev or a Dodge) with batteries under the bed and under the hood, an AC motor driving the front differential and a DC motor driving the rear.

The parts are easy to source, the drive-line (drive shaft, differentials, hubs, brakes, abs) are the same for many years, available from different sources. Figuring out how to spoof the non-engine electronics *SHOULD* be the biggest challenge ... besides my general lack of mechanical skill