View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #74 (permalink)
jjackstone
Master EcoModder

Not yet, but I only personally know one person with a Volt. IIRC the Volt pack is warrantied for eight years/100,000 miles. We are just getting close to that time window although I'm sure many people have exceeded the mileage limit. The thing is that these packs will die eventually and they will need replaced to still have the vehicle operating as designed. If I were putting a pack into my car I would want want one with a warranty and in a known good state. My guess would be that Chevy will license the technology to aftermarket companies to produce new packs for x amount of years. Again IIRC, a company has to support its vehicles for at least 7 years after it is manufactured.

All that said, I am still using the Lifepo4 packs from my Dewalt drill that I purchased in 2006. I know they are different chemistries. But I used the packs to power my electric bike for a couple years until they started getting a little tired. Still work fine in the drill.

Also I do have a Volt pack sitting in my garage waiting for me to get finished with my solar panel installation. Now that one was certainly out of a used vehicle and I hope it lasts for a very long time without need for replacement.
JJ

So funny. Now a couple hours after I wrote the main body of this reply I just read that Chevy has still not replaced any Volt battery due to degradation. A few have been replaced due to defects, but ZERO due to degradation.

Last edited by jjackstone; 01-18-2019 at 03:38 PM..